Friday, March 30, 2012

Literacy Development & Little Free Library

One of our favorite activities is a trip to the library.  I know I've blogged about this before but the changes I've been seeing in my 26 month old son recently is crazy!  And I give much credit to the amount of books read daily.

Some of the changes I've seen are that:

  • He is making real life connections to the stories he reads.
  • He recalls the stories as the real life connections are happening.  (See previous post for one example of a specific topic!)
  • He memorizes the book so quickly.  I didn't even know he had done this, but after reading a specific book literally 3 times in a row, I decided to turn it around on him and started pausing at certain words...low and behold he filled in the blank!!  That is called Shared Reading!
  • He is recognizing over half of the alphabet (capital letters) by a word associated with the letter or their sound.

The baskets around our home that used to be filled with burp clothes, next diapers and wipes are now filled with books.  Book baskets in every bathroom, both bedrooms, living room, game room, kitchen...and usually a few tossed about in the car.  So a library visit helps to freshen up those baskets!

I recently have been working with a Calgary non-profit called Calgary Reads.  It's a fabulous organization which helps promote literacy in several ways, like providing almost 600 tutors to struggling readers, educating parents and educators on literacy development and a massive community book sale.  I'm going to be working on a new project!!  Eeek...but it's a secret for now.  I'll let you know when it launches!!

Through Calgary Reads, I then learned of another organization Little Free Library.  And this has to be one of the coolest ideas I've heard of in a long time!

These little libraries are either ordered through Little Free Library or you can DIY!  

The idea is you take a book, leave a book and leave a note.  As a community you share your books.  After all, books are like diamonds, they never get old!  And also like diamonds, they are a bit expensive.  So why not share?  (Books, that is, not your diamonds!)

I really want to start something like this for my street.  We have so many kiddos on the block.  

Maybe even a monthly book swap?

What do you think?

Does your neighborhood have a Little Free Library?  Or any type of collaborative (simple) book swap?

I'm just getting fired up but would love your suggestions or input with with experience!

P.S. I'm a nerd.  I know it.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, Little Free Library is the CUTEST thing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book swap is a wonderful idea! I should get our play date mommies to do this.

    ReplyDelete

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs