Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Outdoor Stations

With the sun a shinin' and temperature a risin'...we've been lovin' the balcony.

We don't have a big, green backyard but that doesn't stop Carter from banging on the back doors each morning, ready to start his day outside!

He loves it out there!

So, with a few little (very simple) stations set up outside, now there is actually fun outside rather than him just coming in and out, in and out.

First, we freshened up the pasta station with a little color!

Here's the recipe:

A few handfuls of dry pasta (up to your heart's desire).
About 2-3 table spoons of vinegar.
A couple of drops of food coloring.

Throw all of the above a zip lock baggie. (One bag per color.)
SHAKE IT UP!
Let it sit for about 30-60 minutes.
Lay them out to dry.
Voila!


Next, Window Art!

Washable Markers + Window = Masterpiece!

Don't you see all of those animals he drew? ;)

He also LOVES to wipe it clean with a Baby Wipe. And then has to show me, and I have to say... "Wow, look at all of the colors!"

Okay, seriously, remember when he couldn't get a clothes pin into the baby wipe container? This is what developing fine-motor skills means!

He is getting the marker lid onto the marker!
(I'm a nerd...this seriously makes me excited when I catch these little things!)

Oh and just so you know and aren't deceived by that picture, about 2-4 markers are destroyed each day we do this. So, buy the super cheap ones.

And a splash pool! Think: Big Water Table.

Sometimes this is cool.
Sometimes he plays from the side of the pool.
Sometimes he gets into the pool.
Sometimes it's just not cool...like today.

But there is evidence he was in and out of the pool, just last night.
See all of that lovely dirt on the yellow mat?
Nice.

Whoops, I forgot a picture of bubbles! We've been doing lots of bubbles. BUT chances are, you've seen bubbles and probably done them before! ;)

Linked up at We Play.

8 comments:

  1. That is one gorgeous little explorer! And I love your coloured pasta recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I found your blog through the Mama Pea Pod link up! My son loves colored pasta! And now I really want to buy some washable markers to draw on our windows! :) I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justine,

    I'm so glad you are following along! I just checked out your adorable blog too! Love it!

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah, thanks so much for linking up with us. I am a new follower too. My little man is 25 months and just adores playing in his outdoor spaces. Until recently, we didn't have much of a yard either. Although I can see from that adorable picture of Carter that you guys live in a big city. I just love how you have made the most of the space you have.

    Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of outdoor play stations - a wonderful way to engage little ones outside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah, thanks for linking up! I love that you do all of this on a balcony! I'm always looking for things I can do on our apartment balcony, too, rather than lugging equipment down to the shared garden. Some great ideas here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fun, fun, fun! :) And yes, sometimes they are up to something and sometimes same thing simply doesn't appeals to them. But that's normal. Not even adults want to do the same things over and over. Or maybe he simply thinks he needs some new things in that poll to explore? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great ideas! I'm going to be trying out the pasta coloring recipe! I love how you are using your space!

    Oh, and I LOVE the red hair! I have a couple of red heads too!

    ReplyDelete

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs